Fat shaming is in no way acceptable. The society puts undue pressure on individuals to be according to a certain standard of beauty which is naturally not possible for all to achieve.
Fat Shaming is Not Okay
It causes many individuals to feel inferior, lose confidence, feel depressed and lose focus from their talents and skills. Like other unfair activities, shaming individuals for being overweight helps no one. Want to know what impact fat shaming causes? Read these real-life experiences shared by ‘big/fat girls’.
1. “My college theater professor once told me: Despite my talent, I would never be cast as a romantic lead…”
We put on shows with that involve flying children and singing animals but apparently, no one has enough will to believe that anyone can love a fat girl.
2. “I only feel pretty when I am hungry.”
3. “As a child, ‘FAT’ was the first word people used to describe me which didn’t offend me until I found I was supposed to be offended.”
4. “My second grade secret was a quite exit from the dinner table mouth, full of beef, to spit and flush in private. I did this until the night my mother found me panicking, crouched before an overflowing toilet.”
5. “If you develop an eating disorder when you are already thin to begin with, you go to the hospital; if you develop an eating disorder when you are not thin, to begin with, you are a success story.”
6. “Why should I ever stop being hungry when anorexia is the most interesting thing about me?”
7. “Not obsessed with being empty but afraid of being full, I used to feel proud to be cold in a warm room.”
8. “Ursela, the Big lady, was the only Disney character that ever looked like me.”
9. “When I was little someone asked me what I wanted to be when I grow up and I said SMALL!”
10. “I say, “I am fat.”
He says, “No, you are beautiful.”
I wonder why I cannot be both.”
So the next time you feel like indulging in fat shaming, please remember how it feels at the receiving end.
Latest posts by Amna Kazi (see all)
- Why Is The Arsenal Football Club So Special? - 07/06/2018
- Punjab & Sindh Govts. move to ban Careem and Uber Car Services - 31/01/2017
- 5 Really Small Everyday Problems That Are Frustrating AF - 25/01/2017