How to take care of yourself to avoid heat stroke
Once again in the holy month of Ramadan, Karachi is facing a scorching wave of heat, and many of the citizens are in much trouble. Yesterday, it was published by a newspaper, that 65 died due to heatstroke. Local media reported that the temperature hits 111 degrees Fahrenheit on Monday. So, I thought to highlight this issue for a bit. Like it’s symptoms & how you can prevent it.
First of all, what is heatstroke?
Heatstroke is a condition caused by your body overheating, usually as a result of prolonged exposure to or physical exertion in high temperatures. This most serious form of heat injury, heatstroke, can occur if your body temperature rises to 104 F (40 C) or higher.
Some of the basic symptoms are,
- Headaches: a severe headache like you feel throbbing.
- High body temperature: high body temperature like up to 104F.
- Unstable mental state or behavior: Agitation, confusion, disorientation etc.
- Heart racing: fast heartbeat.
- Breathing issues.
- Flushed skin
- Vomiting or nausea
- Flushed skin
How to prevent heatstroke?
- Wear loose-fitting, light-colored & lightweight clothes along with a hat to cover your head from heat.
- Wear sunglasses & sunscreen to protect your skin & eyes from sunburn.
- Stay hydrated. Take plenty of fluids.
If you see someone with heatstroke call an ambulance & while waiting for the ambulance to arrive. Give first aid to the patient.
- Take the patient indoor or in shade,
- Take them in fan air.
- Remove unnecessary clothes
- Immerse the patient in a tub of water or cool shower.
- Place a wet towel or ice cubes on patient’s armpits, back of the neck & groins.
If you feel any of the above symptoms, immediately treat yourself like get into a cool shower and go to the doctor without any wait. If you see someone with these symptoms, call the ambulance and quickly start the first aid of heatstroke.
Stay safe people!