Saint Lucia: Prime Minister Philip J Pierre announced the continuation of preparations for the 2024-25 budget. The budget is being prepared with the Ministry of Finance team.
While informing about the budget preparation, PM Pierre took to his official social media handle and wrote, “The 2024/25 budget preparations continue with my team from the Ministry of Finance.”
Prime Minister of Saint Lucia said that he looks forward to the new year with more productivity. He desires to implement more programmes and policies of the government to benefit the people of the nation.
“I look forward to a year of productivity and implementing the programmes and policies of the government to benefit you, the people of Saint Lucia,” said PM Philip J Piere
Last year, the budget for 2023-24 saw the following major changes and implementations:
- Removal of 12.5% VAT on plywood, lumber, steel, cement and galvanize was proposed for two years.
- The tax amnesty programme was extended for individuals and businesses until May 01, 2024.
- The excise tax on tobacco products was increased by 50% that raised $33 million for the country.
- A significant amount of $500,000 was allocated for scholarships.
- The largest-ever contribution of $25 million to the public assistance program was made.
- The contract for the construction of custody suites was signed.
- $2 million was granted for the Swift Justice Project.
- The first district court was established.
- The Witness Protection Program was expanded.
- Coroner’s Court was established to handle the matters related to death deemed to be unnatural or in the exercise of law enforcement.
- A new Sheriff’s office was established to handle the assets subject to writs.
- A Crime Prevention Office was established in collaboration with SSDF.
The launch of the NIC Golden Citizens Program and providing Citizenship by Investment to legitimate applicants was a great initiative. The country has also seen changes in the international oil prices.
On the post many people have reacted and presented their opinions on the preparations of the budget for the next year.
A retired French teacher from Soufriere, Callixta Joseph, praised the PM and commented, “You see, CIVIL Servants are used, NOT Ernst and Young! A leader we can count on with our coffers!!”
Another user, Veronica Casimir, expressed, “This is real leadership. God bless our PM and his team”
A user, Cynthia Joseph, wrote, “We believe in YOU and we trust your leadership, PM. May God continue to bless and keep you healthy and strong.”
Yves Dessalines appreciated the PM and wrote, “A man with integrity, a man I can trust. Bravo, Mr Prime Minister. You are on the right track.”